To be done on site:
- The property consists of a plot of 3700 m2, fully fenced, including green areas, several buildings (one being a traditional troglodyte style grotto).
- The swimming pool is heated at 28 C° (for those of you who are not particularly fond of chilly baths).
- You have access to a traditional bread oven, which you will use to cook your own homemade pizzas or other delicacies! (optional)
- Feel free to borrow our barbecue, shall you ever fancy a grilled steak (or veggies for that matter).
- We have at your disposal a closed locker located in our main wine cellar. This allows you to store in the best conditions any acquisition of the fine local wine.
- We have prepared a lounge in which you’ll find retro gaming arcade, a pinball machine, but also board games – boredom is never a possibility here.
- If you are a History aficionado, know that we can lend you authentic books and newspapers dating from 1850 to 1950. They were found in the house and belonged to our ancestors!
- A great way to discover the Loire region is cycling. We can rent bikes (including electric ones!) allowing you to make one of the loops of the Loire à Vélo tour, which pass in front of the house.
- Finally, you can make very pleasant walks in this small typical village and its surroundings (racecourses of Verrie for example).
- Other services or activities are available on site.
Things to do nearby (less than 30 minutes by car):
Saumur is renowned for the quality of its wines (Anjou, Saumur Champigny, Bourgueil, Chinon, sparkling Saumur, Côteaux du Layon …).
Less than 10 minutes by car, you can visit the cellar of Bouvet-Ladubay, which produces 6 million sparkling using the same method as in Champagne. The visit is on foot or even by bike. Many other cellars are to be visited and we particularly recommend the visit by horse-drawn carriage of the vineyards from Saumur, which leads you to the Château de Chaintré.
You can easily go horse-riding in the area. We can put you in contact with local horse lenders. And the house is a few minutes away from the Verrie race course and the Ecole Nationale d’Equitation (“Cadre Noir”). Many visits are proposed and adapted to the tastes of each (neophytes, children, adults, experienced …). The shows or galas are of exceptional quality.
Castles and historic places:
Saumur and its surroundings offer many historical places of visit. Among our favourites, the Royal Abbey of Fontevraud has a very great charm and is worth the detour. Similarly, the castle of Brezé which has one of the largest networks of underground in Europe and of which one visits both the underside and the top. Between Saumur and Tours, many castles to visit (Saumur, Brissé, Azay le Rideau, Langeais, Montsoreau, Ussé …), and also charming towns or troglodyte villages.
In Saumur, the museum of the armoured vehicles will interest the amateurs of history and military techniques.
Nature, animals and flowers:
Our favorite place is Doué-La-Fontaine (15 minutes from the house), the “capital” of the rose.
The Doué Bioparc is much more than a magnificent zoo. Located on 14 ha, it is unique in the world thanks to its troglodyte implantation. It hosts more than 1000 animals in a pedagogical project and safeguarding species. Finally, it includes the largest aviary in Europe where one can walk among 500 birds. An unforgettable experience that will delight young and old people alike.
Doué-La-Fontaine also offers numerous activities around the rose (international competition of floral compositions), and is also characteristic of an underground city.
Amateurs of aerial sports and thrills:
The Terrefort airfield (4 km from the house) is a very active parachuting center. The tandem jump over Saumur is an unforgettable memory. Sometime, your host, JP Girard, is the pilot of this plane. He can answer at all your questions about this jump.
For those who want calmer sensations, possibilities of aerial baptisms and magnificent balloon flights.
To go further (1h / 1h30):
- Le puy du fou is not for nothing the world’s top rated attraction park. During the day, it is possible to see 3 or 4 shows all more impressive than the others. The site itself includes several points of interest (medieval villages, reconstruction of a trench of the war of 14 …). Visit to do in one day from the house, where spread over 2 days to see the cinéscénie (famous evening show). You have to take a night locally.
- The Futuroscope: Theme park about new technologies that has invested a lot in recent years. Worth the visit in one day.
- Amboise, Quincy…